Lancaster Pocket Watches
The Lancaster Pennsylvania Watch Company was formed in August, 1877 and purchased the assets of the Adams and Perry Watch Co. Mr. Todd, who was the first plant superintendent, and Mr. C. S. Mosely, Mr. Todds successor designed a new stem wind 3/4 plate movement. By February, 1878, the company had resummed production and employed 45 people. In October 31, 1878 the company was reorganized and was renamed the Lancaster, Pennsylvania Watch Company, Ltd. In the first year they had only produced about 150 movements. The company was again in financial trouble and on May 9, 1879, a new company was formed, called the Lancaster Watch Company. This new company leased the property from the old company for a period of three years, with a five year option of renewal. The first movements for this latest company were turned out in August, 1879. They were 19-size, but the company soon decided to change them to a standard18 size. By October 1, 1880, at least 1250 movements had been completed. In the spring of 1883, five grades of ladies 8-size watches, were commenced, but not more than 50 to 75 were completed. In April, 1883, the Lancaster Watch Company surrendered its lease to the Lancaster Pennsylvania Watch Company, Ltd. The two companies consolidated and formed a new company, with the factory being temporarily closed. The new company was organized with a capital of $248,000. The factory reopened on April 16, 1883 and operated until May 15, 1883, when it closed again, due to a labor dispute. The factory reopened on May 21. There were a series of openings and closings, until 1886, when the plant and its operations was purchased by the Keystone Standard Watch Company.