Aurora Pocket Watches
Date your Aurora Watch
Aurora was organized in July, 1883, with a capital of $250,000, in shares of $100 each. Aurora's shares were offered to watchmakers or jewelry stores in every town. The idea was for them to become stockholders and exclusive agents for the sale of Aurora's watches in their town or city. It was a clever and successful first offering. The city of Aurora, Illinois gave the company land, to build a factory. The main building was completed in February, 1884. Mr. George F. Johnson was appointed superintendent of the factory. The first movements were 18-size full plate, both in gilt and nickel and included a patented stemwind attachment developed by Mr. Johnson. The first movements were sold in the fall of 1884. The company, which normally employed between 150 to 200 employees, was capable of producing about 150 movements per day. Aurora failed financially in 1892. The assets of Aurora, as well as the Keystone Standard Watch Company, were purchased by a group of investors who formed the Hamilton Watch Company.
A closeup view of an 18 Size 15 Jewel Aurora 5th pinion Hunting movement
A closeup view of an 18 Size 11 Jewel Aurora Keywind movement
Return to OLDWATCH.COM. Home Page